It all began with an overripe bunch of bananas. I bought them with the best smoothie intentions. Before bed last night I declared Banana Cake is going to happen. Thanks to Pinterest and Sprinkle Some Sugar this holy amazingness happened. On Easter Sunday. Banana Upside Down Cake is a recipe you’ll want to remember.
Melt a stick of butter in your cast iron skillet. Stir in a cup of brown sugar love. Top with a layer of banana slices then pour in your tender cake batter. Ease into Banana Upside Down Cake with confidence. This super simple recipe will fill your kitchen with sugary butter love.
Start to finish one hour. It will be the most celebrated hour you’ve spent when your family takes their first bite. Amazing.
Recipe source Sprinkle Some Sugar.
- 6 Tbl. butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 bananas sliced, ¼" rounds
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- pinch salt
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 medium)
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ⅓ cup oil
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in cast iron skillet. Remove from heat and stir in brown sugar. Arranged sliced bananas over brown sugar. Once inverted this will be the top of your cake.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Then add in remaining ingredients and stir until well combined (but not overworked). Pour batter over bananas.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Let cake cool for 5 minutes then turn out onto a large plate. Don't wait longer to invert or the caramelized sugar will stick to the pan.
- Best served warm.
8,537 total views, 3 views today