Without a doubt, my favorite check-out isle candy bar is the Almond Joy. Coincidentally, the name I chose for Secret Santa at the office also listed Almond Joy as her favorite ‘sweet’ treat. And since Day #2 is to deliver something sweet I think it’s only fitting that I make these Chocolate Covered Almond Coconut Candy Bars (for her of course).
Of all the recipes I discovered on the web my favorite is this one by Oh!Nuts. The only change I made was to the chocolate. I wanted to use milk chocolate instead of dark and I really wanted it to be softer than dipping chocolate. I turned to my favorite melting chocolate DOVE®
Sweetened condensed milk, a little vanilla, a pinch of salt, combined with confectioners sugar before stirring in a bag of coconut. That’s the inside…..how easy is that?! Press them into an 11×7 pan that’s been lined with foil coated with cooking spray.
Now for the tip I found most helpful. With a pizza cutter or small knife, score the bars to the size you’ll want to cut them later. Don’t go all the way just enough to make an outline. Now press two almonds in the top of each bar and pop them into the freezer.
In the time it will take you to unwrap a bag of DOVE® chocolates and read the lovely messages written specifically with you in mind….they’ll be ready for dipping. Lift the foil out of the pan, and place onto a cutting board. Using a sharp knife cut through coconut mixture at each score line. Our batch made 27 bars. Did I say 27, I meant 24…clearly there were only 24.
In a glass microwave safe bowl, microwave unwrapped chocolates for 30 seconds and stir, then for an additional 30 seconds. Bring 1/3 cup heavy cream to a boil and pour over melted chocolate. Stir until cream and chocolate are completely blended. Using a fork, lay a bar onto the tines and dip into the chocolate. Spoon chocolate over the top to cover if necessary then tap the fork on the edge of the bowl to remove excess chocolate. Place dipped bars on a foil lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
Allow to rest at room temperature until chocolate is set. Recipe Note: the dipping process took longer than I expected. I recommend leaving half of the coconut bars in the freezer while dipping the first half so they remain firm.
I delivered these in true Secret Santa fashion and from my office could hear sheer Joy as they were discovered. These are far better than the original candy. Homemade wins every time.
- 7 oz. sweetened condensed milk (half a can)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 14 oz. bag sweetened coconut flakes
- ¾ cup of whole lightly salted almonds
- 1 bag DOVE milk chocolates, unwrapped
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- Line 11x7 baking sheet with foil coated with cooking spray
- In a medium bowl combine condensed milk, vanilla, and salt, then stir in confectioners sugar 1 cup at a time until well blended.
- Add coconut 1 cup at a time, mixing in with a wooden spoon until all coconut has been fully incorporated. The mixture will be thick.
- Press mixture evenly into the foil line pan. Gently score with a knife showing where the bars will be cut after cooling.
- Press two almonds into each bar, then place pan in freezer for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from freezer, lift foil out of pan and set on a cutting board. Cut into individual bars along score lines.
- In a microwave safe glass bowl, microwave chocolates for 30 seconds, then stir. Repeat for another 30 seconds.
- Heat heavy cream to a boil and pour over melted chocolate. Stir until well combined.
- Using a fork, lay a bar on tines and dip into chocolate. Spoon chocolate over top if necessary. Tap fork on edge of bowl to remove excess chocolate.
- Lay dipped chocolates on a foil lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Let rest at room temperature for at least an hour, then trim edges with a small knife.
8,020 total views, 3 views today